Friday, December 7, 2007

What is healing and how does one do it?

Today I am at the New York Open Center. It's so busy on the streets of Soho. Christmas has come to New York City! Everyone is bustling. And there are so many workshops and practitioner trainings to attend. Everyone has a technique or a theory. I feel a bit daunted, since I have a non-theory, more or less. My theory is that healing emerges through dialogue and that anyone can do it. That's a hard sell for a workshop. It's easier to pick a technique -- heal yourself through reiki, core shamanic practice, reflexology, numerology, iridology, ayurveda, etc. I'm doing some of that myself when I teach Cherokee bodywork, though I try to teach it as a non-technique, a way of following energy and not a strict set of procedures that one does. My sense is that we are upside down in North America. We need to develop our own abilities to follow energy and to sense spirit and listen to spirit more than we need to learn algorithms. We need to form communities of like-minded healers, start healing circles, dialogue with each other and let the emergent properties of systems hold forth. I think about John Charles, a Cree healer in Saskatchewan, who has never attended one of these workshops and who is a man you would definitely want praying for you. We'll see what happens tonight in my workshop on Native American healing amidst the cacophany and excitement that is New York, so different from Sturgeon Lake First Nation.

4 comments:

San said...

Hey Lewis--

Glad to see you carried through on your threat to start a blog.

Following energy and listening to spirit--that sounds like what painters and writers and musicians do. Yes, our lives need to be more artful, informed by spirit.

A poet may find that working within a form urges new connections between words, where there were none before. The trick is in attending to the right connections, letting go of those that don't serve. The real artist breaks rules rather effectively. Must be the same for a healer.

Everyone's a healer, everyone's an artist. Not everyone knows it.

Lewis Mehl-Madrona said...

How about it! I can follow instructions. Thanks so much for Blogging 101. I'll start doing this.

I agree with you that the work of doing healing is like doing art. It's being moved by energy and spirit. I recently did a "doctoring" in Arizona that everyone present thought was profound, but during the work, I had no thoughts. i was just following energy and doing as spirit directed, and didn't really think much about it once I was done.

Unknown said...

It sounds to me like you're both saying that healing comes out of being open to the infinite possibilities of the present moment. For me, doing art is one of the times when we're fully alive in the present moment and turning our ears inward to see what's there. I agree that we listen to spirit trying to move through us. When people try to name spirit as some "technique" it limits and conditions the way that spirit can move in our lives and we are not as free to follow the most healing possibilities and opportunities that arise. Being around others who are also learning to be alive in the present moment helps to empower us to change our old stories. Maybe in our new stories we can even fly, whether we are sick or not. Maybe our sickness is just the challenge that our underdog needed to become a hero or heroine and make a brilliant comeback.

Lewis Mehl-Madrona said...

Dear K.C.,

I think you said this beautifully. This is why medicine is an art as much as a science and why healing is so much more mysterious than "treating." I'm trying to teach healing in a way similar to how people teach art -- that it is stimulated and moved by spirit and that the best work we do is when we get out of the way and let spirit and nature move us. I'm of course not saying to eschew science when choosing between two drugs, but, there's so much more to healing than what conventional medicine presents. Thanks for reading.