Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas 2008

Hello Everyone and Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas),

Since my last post, I have been on Thom Hartmann's radio show in Portland, Oregon, which was really fun, since I got to speak for over an hour about Christmas depression. Then, an evening lecture at the New Renaissance Book Store in Portland. I'll be back in Portland, April 9-11, 2009, again on Thom Hartmann's show (April 10th) at the New Renaissance, April 9th, and speaking on Native American Health Disparities, Friday evening and all day Saturday.

Now I'm in Hawai'i. I got to sit at my new desk at Argosy University on Monday, which was fun, and I went surfing today, which was intimidating. I finished my new book, Narrative Psychiatry: healing mind and brain in a social world, and sent it to the publisher. I also got my papers graded for my last class at the University of Saskatchewan.

Today, I'm working on a book chapter about healing intergenerational trauma. I'm reflecting upon how children absorb the impact that events have upon their parents without ever having to experience these events. Residential schools had that impact. Generations of children who never attended residential school got the full impact through their parents. How does that happen? We learn the stories that our parents tell. We learn to perceive the world in this way. We then react to the world in this way and that resets our physiology.

Here's the abstract for the article:

Trauma to indigenous people has been more the exception than the rule during the era of colonization. Entire cultures were virtually decimated by disease (smallpox, hepatitis A, etc.) and forced to accept one sided treaties to avoid starvation. This phenomenon frequently occurs among Aboriginal populations who were forced to endure forced assimilation at the hands of European settlers. Among the British-derived colonies turned nations, the residential school phenomenon forged new waves of abuse that are still reverberating. The introduction of residential schools in the late 1800s emphasized the suppression of Aboriginal culture and institutionalized intergenerational trauma. The residential school experience led to increased feelings of fear, anxiety, helplessness, and increased maladaptive behaviors related to alcoholism, family discord, and high suicide rates (Bryant-Davis, 2007; Duran, 2006).

The concept of inter-generational trauma relates to trauma that is inflicted upon a subsequent generation by the behaviors engendered by the effects of trauma on the older generation. Intergenerational trauma results in the transferring of emotions related to a traumatic experience from one generation to another. This trauma can be direct through parents re-enacting the abuse they received upon their children. It can be indirect through the transmission of an expectation for being traumatized and behavior patterns that result from trauma without directly abusing the child. In this chapter, we will consider how inter-generational trauma arises, persists, and will ask how it has been healed and it can be further healed in aboriginal environments in North America and around the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Mehl-Madrona,

A family member gave me your latest book as a Christmas gift and it was probably the best gift I've received in my adult life.

Your other two books are now on the way from Amazon.

I've been living with chronic fatigue syndrome for ten years and am finally turning the corner after doing some distance work with a Harner graduate. I'm soaking this all in, and will be weaving my story into the larger story of tribal healing when the time is right.

Trust me, you have at least one blog reader. :)

New Year's blessings to you, and thank you for sharing your stories. I am grateful.

Lewis Mehl-Madrona said...

Dear Susan,

Thanks for your interest and for writing. Please be sure to visit my website at www.mehl-madrona.com for upcoming events and for discussion communities you can join.

Lewis

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon from the snowy Aleutians. I must say i have read your first 3 books and feel as though many of my ideas are being validated and confirmed. I am eagerly awaiting the new book on generational trauma as it is something i see being played out up here in Alaska all the time. i am a behavioral health clinician and specialize in addictions. Thanks for the work you do and please keep telling the story. just judi